Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Starkville, Miss. to pardon Cash annually

This fall, Starkville will hold the 2nd annual Flower Pickin' Festival on Oct. 17-19. The festival was made in jest of an arrest Cash received back in 1965 and in light of the event the city will issue Cash a pardon every year the festival is held.

The article was very interesting and it was surprising because I had never heard of a city praising someone for a public intoxication arrest. Granted yes it was Johnny Cash but out of his 7 arrests, this is the only festival created.

The article could have had a stronger lede. I'm not a fan of using a question in the lede, especially one that can not be answered; like on for the dead. The quotes were very well and I like the angle of getting the family's input. The Cash family is known for not participating in many Cash related functions. Both daughter's quotes were strong but I also would have liked to hear from his son.

"And, despite his having been recently indicted in a 2007 shooting in a Texas Bar, Cash’s old friend and songwriter Billy Joe Shaver will offer up a few tunes himself."

I did not like this paragraph. I thought it was very awkward and upon reading it the first time thought the writer was implying Cash's son-in-law or even Cash in the bar fight. Seeing as Cash passed away in 2002, I reread the paragraph two or three times before i realized it was an awkward attempt to introduce Billy Joe Shaver. I would recommend the writer to rework this.

Over all I thought the article was informative, attention grabbing and exciting. This festival is something I'd possibly attend next year!


http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/10/starkville-to-re-issue-pardon-for-johnny-cash.html

No comments: